Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Return to May River

It's been days since I've posted to this site, but outside of a few internet obstacles after traveling to the Highlands, the main problem has been knowing where to begin. It's been fairly busy since we arrived on the Goroka base on Monday afternoon. I unpacked and we went to store and market and had a tour of the 70 houses here on base before dinner on the first day alone.  Now I need to rewind quite a bit...

I so enjoyed our team and opportunities to meet and share with some of the interesting people around Wewak. There were wonderful interactions at the open markets and prayer for healing with people in the haus sik each time I went. Praise God from whom all blessings flow! Our time in PNG has been rich and memorable.

This ITEC team has seen many prayers answered. Gerard and Shane have made it safely home (despite a couple days' delay), the crate of missing tools and equipment was found and delivered in time to be utilized, and the solar panel project over the clinic is nearly completed. As I'm writing this, I think they are in the final testing stage. Thank you to all who have been praying with us!

We had also been asking prayer for the float plane trip to May River for Linda and I to go back and visit the Iwam tribe where we once lived. As you heard, the plane's hydraulics were in need of repair, but Friends in Action (isn't that a great name?) helped our pilot with Samaritan Aviation to use a tractor part to get it back up and running!

Right up to the last minute there were concerns about whether we'd be able to go. In fact, the weather socked in completely on Friday morning and we were on hold for a few hours. Finally, word came from Derek at the base and with the help of weather reports from missionaries throughout the Sepik, the decision was made to load up and move out. Derek weighed everything and took us all to the hanger.

Linda and I wondered where we would land, how we'd manage the high water, and how we'd find a boat and motor and the people we wanted to see. We had attempted sending messages through area missionaries, roughly 2-8 hrs away in different directions, but had no way of knowing if they were delivered in time. Besides, we couldn't set a date because of all of the variables and uncertainties.

It's a good thing people were praying with us! All our questions were answered within minutes of landing. The "Sam" pilot Mark said the big trees and debris floating downriver were challenging, but he got over all of it and we had a glassy smooth landing before riding over to the side, where we were quickly whisked away in a dugout by old friends who "just happened" to be there!

Those who now know me on the team can vouch that brevity is not my forte, and believe me, this IS the condensed version but for those who are interested, here are some of the highlights from that visit...

First of all, Linda and I were overjoyed that we didn't do an immediate faceplant in mud or topple someone's canoe. Instead, we were taken by the hand and easily led from village to village reconnecting with dear old friends and being introduced to the children. "This is my first born, my third...  this is my wife..." It was a great time seeing the faces of the parents we once taught in this new bright-eyed and giggling generation.

We did learn that people were waiting for us on Wednesday, and some had gone off to other areas for one reason and another. Still, we believe The Lord had who he wanted us to see and beautifully arranged our steps.

Tribal missionary Jason Swanson came with us to negotiate fuel if needed and ensure our safety on the river, but there were no conflicts whatsoever. Old familiar faces just emerged from the crowd and names started coming back. I was delighted when even the tokples (Iwam language) began to flow from places in my mind's back burner that I had long forgotten! (So much for my Moses-like excuses, "But Lord, I've forgotten the language!" And He said, "Who made your tongue?") God is able!

We had 10 bags of lollypops to give out to the kids' delight, as well as laminated Bible charts, bags of salt and matches for the church. Weight was extremely limited for the plane, so we didn't even bring mosquito nets, but these symbolic gifts are useful and appreciated by anyone, young or old. Clothes are too particular and food is heavy, but isn't it interesting how the Lord chose these universal symbols of salt and light to illustrate our calling? I also delivered a letter to the churches including the Lord's words about bringing the God-colors and God-flavors to the world in Matthew 5:13-16.

It was fun to see the growth in the villages, how they have spread out and stretched to both sides of the river in places. Water tanks and a few solar panels dotted the area and they built substantial 'haus lotus' or meeting houses where we used to teach. The best part was to hear that upwards of 300 meet in one of them and Nasak, who was my prize pupil in literacy about 20 years ago, is now one of the pastors.

Most of our "kids" from Bible study have become area leaders and we were so proud of them. And a few of the 'elder' believers were also there, beaming, standing strong in faith after all these years. My sense is that Inia and his wife are the anchors of the church and true prayer warriors.  What a joy to see them again and made us think how wonderful heaven will be!
In the end, I think it was Tomas Wili who made me cry the most. At one point he had been my husband's shadow. They ate and swam and taught and translated--even wore the same clothes--until Tomas became a politician and fell away. So when Josep pointed and said, "there's Tomas" and I saw him facing away from us and hunched forward, I knew he was feeling heavy.

He grieved for Frank when I sat with him and we cried together. I wished Frank was there to embrace Tomas and call him back to Christ. We reminisced on that bench and after awhile he said he isn't a Christian anymore, obviously remembering the passion that once consumed him as a young preacher. But I challenged him, "Oh no, you are still his child. God doesn't forget you. He forgives you." That really moved him.

Right up to the time our boat left the shore, I kept looking right at him and saying things like, "You are his child! Don't forget it! He still has a worry for you!" We could see that the Lord was at work in a powerful way as he wept the kind of tears that come from a deep place. He sort of crumpled, caving in at the chest--no longer the proud young man we had watched in pursuit of a career--and made me think that a prodigal was coming home.

Obviously, there were lots of connections and memories stirred, but there's another incident that really surprised me. Our old nemesis Tom Masio paddled upriver as we were motoring back down to meet the plane. When Josep said who it was, I just instinctively started waving. "Does he know who we are?" I asked, and Josep said he definitely knew.

Amazingly, he waved back, and we kept waving. Not just a passing nod, but so much was conveyed in those silent seconds to erase the strife of many years. It seemed I was gliding on grace, the freedom of forgiveness flowing on that river. After all the arrows that flew into the roof where our kids were hiding, after all the ugly threats to throw us in the river, after all the years of opposition and praying for that man--here we were, waving! (For anyone unfamiliar with these stories they are written in a book called Crickets and Thunder available on Amazon.)

That morning for devotions I had mulled over Ecclesiastes 3:11-14.
"He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the human heart, yet no one can fathom what God has done from beginning to end. ... I know that everything God does will endure forever; nothing can be added to it and nothing taken from it."

I've often wondered about the state of things at May River and how the collective memory of village lore would either build on the foundation of teaching and follow the Lord, or fall prey to the destroyer and return to old ways and 'spirits of the ground.' This trip, these face to face reunions, left us so encouraged.

The Lord Jesus is building His church. He is using his body everywhere, employing every gift and pleased with every part, and hopefully you noticed how many were involved even in this one visit.

For me, the opportunity to express grace, embrace the fallen, and forgive an enemy, this was a powerful opportunity and sweet reminder that love covers a multitude and paves the way for God to move.

Thank you for your prayers!
Karen  
p.s. I will post photos when I get my hands on a 'real computer.'

No comments:

Post a Comment